This program hass been launched in 2009 and the main aim of this project of giving the unique identification to the resident of India. Main and other benefits of Aadhar card is:
- Aadhaar based Direct Benefit Transfer (LPG Subsidy): The 12 digit individual identification number on Aadhar card is used to get LPG subsidy amount directly in the bank account. This DBTL scheme is named as PAHAL. To get this benefit you need to visit your area’s distributor and get Aadhar number linked to the 17 digit LPG consumer number. Although now you can get direct benefit transfer by linking bank account to the LPG number.
- Jan Dhan Yojana: The guiness word record scheme Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) accepts Aadhaar card/number as the only document sufficient to open the bank account. The benefits offered are RuPay card, free zero balance savings account, life and accident insurance and many others.
- Passport in 10 days: This benefit of Aadhaar card will relieve you the most! If you have an Aadhaar card, you can get passport in just 10 days. Under this format, police verification will be done at a later date as opposed to the previous rule requiring police verification which used to be time consuming. Also under the new government’s rule, if you need a passport, Aadhaar number is compulsory.
- Digital Locker: Government of India has launched digital locker (DigiLocker) system for everyone for storing all personal document on the government’s server.
- Voter Card Linking: Starting 9th March 2015, Aadhaar card UIDAI number would be linked to the voter ID’s. This action is taken to eliminate bogus voters. Once
an Aadhaar number is linked, it would become impossible for an multiple voter ID card holder to make it’s illegal use, as registration requires voter card holder to
be physically present and produce Aadhaar card to the polling booth officer for linking.
- Monthly Pension: All the pensioners from select states will now have to register their Aadhaar card number to their respective department in order to receive
monthly pension. This move was initiated as there have been fraudulent incidents as beneficiaries requesting pension were found to be fake.
- Provident Fund: Similar to pension, provident fund money will be given to the account holder who’ve registered their Aadhaar number with employee provident
fund organization (EPFO).
- Opening new bank account: Aadhaar letter provided by UIDAI is now acceptable by banks as a valid proof to open bank account. In fact, it can serve as an address proof as well provided address on Aadhaar card and address proof perfectly matches. i.e. no need to produce bunch of documents to the banks for opening the account.
- SEBI: It is now accepted as a proof of address by Securities and Exchange board of India for investing in stock market. Till now, it was used by SEBI as identity proof.